Are you a food waste warrior? Would you like to help us make changes to a broken food system?
This is Rubbish (TiR) works to reduce food waste from farm to fork; using policy campaigns, values-led education, the arts and public events.
Our activity is underpinned by the three guiding values: Active citizenship, social justice and environmental justice.
Food waste is an environmental and social tragedy:
- UK businesses throw out over 7 million tonnes of food annually, that is enough to lift all the hungry people in the UK out of food poverty, and equal to about half the food wasted in the UK.
- If food waste were a country it would be the third biggest emitter of greenhouse gases.
TiR is looking to recruit new non- executive directors to join the current team in guiding the strategic direction of the organisation and ensure that projects are working towards goals in a competent and creative manner in line with TiR ideals and standards. The organisation focuses on positive messaging around the value of food. Joining our team will mean eating a lot of delicious food and meeting a broad spectrum of inspiring people through our campaiging and events as soon as government guidelines permit.
The three keys areas of TiR’s work that the directors will oversee and facilitate are;
- Affecting change thought campaigning
- Values-led Education
- Day to day management
Director role and responsibilities include;
- Defining and delivering organisational aims, objectives and strategic direction
- Providing guidance for the organisation and specific projects
- Providing high level organisational and project direction
- Reviewing and upholding policies
- Signing off and being a named senior contact on funding applications
- Ensuring that TiR, a Community Interest Company complies with its constitution, company law and reports to Companies House.
- Bringing relevant outside perspective to organisational direction, development and growth
- Safeguarding the good name and values of the organisation
- Being an advocate for This is Rubbish and its cause at all times – asking people to join, giving out leaflets, networking and talking about our work
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the document ‘ TiR Director Roles and Responsibilities’ for full details.
All volunteer director input in valuable. The primary requirement is for realistic commitments to enable accurate planning and achievable targets.
All directors required to attend;
- Video calls every 2 months or when needed for working group tasks.
- Quarterly face to face meetings
What TiR seeks from new non- executive directors
The TiR facilitators are a motivated, passionate and creative team. We seek individuals who can demonstrate that they are driven to make a difference to social and environmental issues and will find working with the current team fun/interesting/ exciting and rewarding.
Previous engagement in social and environmental issues does not need be related to food waste but a background working or volunteering in the charitable sector is desirable.
We seek individuals with significant experience and skills which cover some of the following areas:
- Accounting and financial management
- Project management
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Community and youth engagement
- Website Development
Why be a TiR non-executive director
This is an excellent opportunity to take up a senior role in a respected, national CIC which has the potential to bring about significant changes to supermarket supply chain practice.
You will also be part of groundbreaking work to reframe the food waste narrative as a problem rooted in inequality, the legacy of colonialism and neoliberal capitalism.
The role is voluntary although we will pay all out-of-pocket expenses with prior agreement.
This is a remote working role.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and covering letter (1 page maximum) to email@example.com by 05/04/21. Interviews to take place late April.
We look forward to hearing from you.
The Rubbish Team